Battle Of The Somme

• Thread starter Deleted member 1402
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
  • Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
D

Deleted member 1402

Today we remember the Battle of the Somme.

Some 19,240 British Soldiers were killed in one day, and almost twice that number wounded.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses. row on row.
That Mark our place; and in the sky the larks, still bravely singing, fly scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago we lived, felt dawn, saw sunsets glow.
Loved and were loved, and now we lie in flanders feilds.
Take up our quarrel with our foe:
To you from falling hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow in Flanders feilds .....

Thanks for adding the Poppy @Admin

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Today we remember the Battle of the Somme.

Some 19,240 British Soldiers were killed in one day, and almost twice that number wounded.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses. row on row.
That Mark our place; and in the sky the larks, still bravely singing, fly scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago we lived, felt dawn, saw sunsets glow.
Loved and were loved, and now we lie in flanders feilds.
Take up our quarrel with our foe:
To you from falling hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow in Flanders feilds .....

Thanks for adding the Poppy @Admin
Indeed we do @VoluptuousVixen - thank you for noticing.
I was going to write a thread but have been tied up.

Lest we forget. Never forget those who gave everything, the ultimate sacrifice, so we have our freedom today. x

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
First thing I noticed was the Poppy. It's a lovely touch x
Thank you... x not many people really understand what today is.. But it's too important and sombre to ignore.
5 months this battle raged on for, one of two of the worst battles in history. 1 million lives lost between all sides and we should think of all men who died during this horrific time.
The only other greatest battle was when Germany turned East and faced Russia in WWII - such as Stalingrad etc. The Eastern Front.

The Somme was a significant battle and planned meticulously. Sadly, the Germans (huns) were prepared and knew about it. This meant, when our men were sent over the top, and ordered to march slowly to the German front, thinking they'd overwhelmingly succeeded in their task (Engineers mine detonation) - they walked into a wall of machine gun fire and were mowed down.
The generals' idea then was throw as many forward as possible and eventual they will overcome the front lines.
A needless act. A sad day.

18 October 2015
City
Nantwich
It was a complete change to warfare the first time that the battle field had become that static. Only when they tried to take the ground did they realise that the bombardment had failed to distroy the barbed wire and German machine gun posts as expected.
You can only start imagine the fear and horror those poor lads and officers faced on that fatefull day. To find themselves facing a wall of fire and wire but still pushing on.
If you ever get the chance to visit the Newfoundland memorial in Belgium it still has the original trenches and shows how close the fighting was if really brings it home.
It was a war that alterd out society forever some family's including the landed gentry lost a complete generation with the family line coming to an end on the male side such was their sacrifice.
As you all have put so well we must never forget or cease to appreciate the sacifice and suffering of all concerned on both sides.

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
It was a complete change to warfare the first time that the battle field had become that static. Only when they tried to take the ground did they realise that the bombardment had failed to distroy the barbed wire and German machine gun posts as expected.
You can only start imagine the fear and horror those poor lads and officers faced on that fatefull day. To find themselves facing a wall of fire and wire but still pushing on.
If you ever get the chance to visit the Newfoundland memorial in Belgium it still has the original trenches and shows how close the fighting was if really brings it home.
It was a war that alterd out society forever some family's including the landed gentry lost a complete generation with the family line coming to an end on the male side such was their sacrifice.
As you all have put so well we must never forget or cease to appreciate the sacifice and suffering of all concerned on both sides.

Yes this was a complete change in warfare due to advances in technology but unfortunately the mindset of the leaders on both sides had failed to recognise this at the time. Sadly so many died on both side needlessly.

15 April 2016
City
Stanwell
Like is not enough. Outstanding

#VoluptuousVixen. Great call. We owe so much to so many . Lets we forget.

A war zone and death is never pleasant. Respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Not wanting to start a rant thread, I have the grearest respect for those who served in the forces. I was refering to the profits the companies make and that those companies are "winners" without ever having to get involved. Appologies but its one of my pet hates. These companies make billions from others agonies.
Feel free to remove the comment.

30 June 2015
City
Brighton
I had the great fortune to attend the ceremony at Thiepval. I can unequivocally say it was the most moving and sobering event I have ever attended. It was a privilege to lay a wreath to a relation lost in battle on the Somme, and to find his name on the monument. The scale of losses suffered by both sides is impossible to fully take in. Toured around the area and so many cemeteries, some on a massive scale and others in tribute to the fallen in smaller skirmishes. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them xx