Welcome to...
Social Swinging

A genuine site, by genuine swingers FOR swingers!

Register Today

Home Page

Discussion in 'FAQ's, Help & Suggestions' started by Haitink, 8 June 2016.

1. When I select the Home Page on the menu I am returned to a page which is somewhat generic in intent and it takes two further clicks to get back to the nice helpful summary page (I may of course be missing a link somewhere). Without looking at the HTML I'm not sure if this is one or two visits to the servers but if Home took me to the summary page directly, you will be saving one or maybe two transactions.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Pearls

Pearls Site Owner Staff Admin

Hi both @Admin will help you in a min x

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Admin

Hello @Haitink very observant.
    Okay this serves many purposes and is a good discussion, I am not sure how many who've read this actually understand the terms generic and queries so I will keep this as basic as possible but at the same time addressing your question. ;)
    First can you please tell me or elaborate on what you define as your summary page?

Okay now to the technical side of it. The home page has recently been redeveloped to serve a better purpose for SEO.
    Our original one was this https://socialswinging.com/featured-threads (which will now of course no longer work)
    The featured threads page was a summary of hot topics and discussions, plus a page with a slider and purposely written articles for SEO reasons as well as helping the community.

However, such a feature rich and content rich page, ran several and multiple queries as you can imagine.
    So, in order to reduce server visits, queries, click follow ratio and bounces, plus page load, I rebuilt it to what we currently now have.

As far as GUI is concerned the process will be;
    Your chosen summary page > click > home > click menu (3 bars) click > forums/personal page/choice of landing.
    This negates much more queries than previous, more clicks than previous and more load times than previous.

I hope that this helps satisfy your question.
    Oh and additionally whilst I do know that load, queries and transactions are absolutely vital - I can tell you with an octo-core processor, SSD's (2tb) and 64GB RAM but 1Gbps Internet - we do have the resources to cope with it.

Google Developers User Experience Desktop and Mobile are 97-99.
    Hope this helps.

If you however have any further questions or ideas on how to deliver the experience better and save queries, I am absolutely prepared to listen as less queries = faster site.
    Many thanks!
    Admin :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pearls

Pearls Site Owner Staff Admin

I would have replied with the same thing @Haitink but was busy else where :whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Admin

Additionally I will add that the 3 bar menu click is not a query as it is CSS :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. I managed to short cut a wee bit - if I hover on the avatar in the navigation pane I get a pop-up and then I can select my name or "Your Profile Page" to do what I want thus bypassing the Home Page altogether. I wouldn't mind the three bar menu icons being a bit more discrete eg. smaller, they are a bit in your face.

I get your redevelopment of the home page to cut down the queries: Sdc had to do that as user customisable home pages were killing performance. Now there is a little customisation which is managed in a cookie - really annoying as it is lost every time cookies are purged and if you login from a different machine. I am slowly but surely figuring it out.

My desktop has a noisy fan, so when it kicks in I know summat is up with my web site, and it hasn't kicked in for you yet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Admin

Sir that is by design using jquery :)
    Size I can manage but that again is design not so much in regards to queries. But send me the resolution you prefer and I can look at using adjustments.
    By the way we use Font Awesome.

But purging cookies will do this by design?

Excessive RAM usage and memory leak. Notably from Firefox et al. ?

Check your CPU cycles and readings.

Are we to consider aesthetics too? The 3 bars?
    Best wishes,
    Admin :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. This thread ia a bit too techy for me!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Admin

I don't think you'd be alone on that one.. So no worries there ;) x

• Like Like x 2
  10. Admin

Eh? :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Admin

Ah okay :D

12. nee-eh moov-ee-eh po polskoo
    Nie rozumiem ;)

13. Well at least Poland got through to quarter finals

• Like Like x 1
  14. Try Reverse Polish

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice