Lgbt History Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 1030
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
  • Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
D

Deleted member 1030

February is Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Trans History Month. If you look at our logo, you'll see that we here at Social Swinging are fully supportive of this celebration of LGBT culture and are flying the rainbow flag for the duration.
As a society, we have come so far in a short time (it is only 30 years ago that Section 28 - which prohibited the dissemination of materials that 'promoted homosexuality' - became law and only 15 years since it was repealed) but there is still a bit to go. Any further understanding of the history of struggle, secrecy, violence and repression can only be a good thing.

More information can be found here

D

Deleted member 1030

Find me some interesting LGB... history
Yes, I will try to post some links, articles etc. throughout the month.

In the meantime, this is from the website I've linked above. It is still shocking, even having lived through the time, that this was only 30 years ago - Section 28

Reactions: Pearls
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
The first time I read this, it chilled me to the bone.

Not a comfortable story but it's the tale of a gay Frenchman who was sent to the concentration camps in WWII for his sexuality, survived and testified about it.

Pierre Seel - Wikipedia

Find something cheerier please.
I can't read all of that, it's too sad.

*sighs*

The point is that in our culture, in this time, people are afforded a great deal more toleration than at points within living memory. I feel lucky to be alive now.

D

Deleted member 1030

The point is that in our culture, in this time, people are afforded a great deal more toleration than at points within living memory. I feel lucky to be alive now.
I agree - to an extent.
One in five LGBT people still experience physical or verbal abuse (double that for the trans community), 10% have experienced discrimination when looking for housing and hate crime towards the LGBT community has soared by 80% over the past 2 years, despite widespread under-reporting. Only yesterday, local activists had to force Havering council's hand to fly the rainbow flag over the town hall (to celebrate LGBTHM), as other London boroughs have done freely. That's just in this country. Across the world, LGBT folks face torture, sexual violence, arrest or the death penalty for simply loving someone. Let us not forget, also, that the 'leader of the free world' has spent his first year enacting swathes of discriminatory legislation (such as banning Trans people from serving in the army) and rolling back progressive policies (e.g. the collection of sexual orientation and gender identity data).
Things have got better, yes, but let's not pat ourselves on the back, just yet.

Reactions: Therapon and Pearls
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
I agree - to an extent.
One in five LGBT people still experience physical or verbal abuse (double that for the trans community), 10% have experienced discrimination when looking for housing and hate crime towards the LGBT community has soared by 80% over the past 2 years, despite widespread under-reporting. Only yesterday, local activists had to force Havering council's hand to fly the rainbow flag over the town hall (to celebrate LGBTHM), as other London boroughs have done freely. That's just in this country. Across the world, LGBT folks face torture, sexual violence, arrest or the death penalty for simply loving someone. Let us not forget, also, that the 'leader of the free world' has spent his first year enacting swathes of discriminatory legislation (such as banning Trans people from serving in the army) and rolling back progressive policies (e.g. the collection of sexual orientation and gender identity data).
Things have got better, yes, but let's not pat ourselves on the back, just yet.
Absolutely, but my focus is on something from just a few miles back down the historical road. It's the closeness of it that disturbs me.