Ok, Audio Geeks And Hifi Freaks....

• Thread starter Deleted member 1030
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
  • Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
D

Deleted member 1030

I need some sort of audio system for my living room (a normal-sized one lol). We've got a couple of decent phones, an under-used PS3, a smart tv and a knackered laptop. I'm looking for suggestions that will cost a princely sum (I can dream), something that can be done on a shoestring (more than likely) or anything in between.
Go on, hit me. What do I need to be looking at/drooling over?

Reactions: Therapon
D

Deleted member 3411

Look for dynamic range. 20Hz to 18k Hz. Speakers at least 9 inch as no matter what others say for low notes you need something over 9 inch to push out the note. I'd go for cast off second hand or look for an ex catalogue shop, so much stuff is bought and returned these days and returns get sold off cheap.

19 March 2015
I need some sort of audio system for my living room (a normal-sized one lol). We've got a couple of decent phones, an under-used PS3, a smart tv and a knackered laptop. I'm looking for suggestions that will cost a princely sum (I can dream), something that can be done on a shoestring (more than likely) or anything in between.
Go on, hit me. What do I need to be looking at/drooling over?
A standalone stereo system? Or something for the laptop?
Or even a BlueTooth sound system? Are you looking to play vinyl on it/through it?

I.E you've heard mine and it is loud, runs through the PC. But can also be used on a standalone system too.. What are your initial thoughts on what it is you need/are seeking?

12 January 2016
City
Cambridge
Look for dynamic range. 20Hz to 18k Hz. Speakers at least 9 inch as no matter what others say for low notes you need something over 9 inch to push out the note. I'd go for cast off second hand or look for an ex catalogue shop, so much stuff is bought and returned these days and returns get sold off cheap.

12 January 2016
City
Cambridge
I'd look for a second hand amplifier, Cambridge, Arcam, Rotel or NAD are good and turn up on ebay or gumtree fairly often; never mind if its 30+ years old, they were built far better then than they are now. For speakers you can't go wrong with Acoustic Research if you can find some (even the tiny ones, believe me!) but check the cones are ok. Avoid Wharfedale if you're looking for precision.

19 March 2015
I'd look for a second hand amplifier, Cambridge, Arcam, Rotel or NAD are good and turn up on ebay or gumtree fairly often; never mind if its 30+ years old, they were built far better then than they are now. For speakers you can't go wrong with Acoustic Research if you can find some (even the tiny ones, believe me!) but check the cones are ok. Avoid Wharfedale if you're looking for precision.
Agreed. If anything, I’d purposefully look for older equipment over buying newer gear. :)

D

Deleted member 1030

Thanks so far, folks. I'd like something through which we can run the phones and lappy, so Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity is a must, really. Unfortunately, this rules out the older equipment - which is a shame because, I agree, the sound is warmer.
I do own vinyl and cds, but very rarely dig them out these days. So a CD player or a turntable would be good but not essential.
I've noticed Marantz do some nice systems, anybody know if they're any good?

12 January 2016
City
Cambridge
Thanks so far, folks. I'd like something through which we can run the phones and lappy, so Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity is a must, really. Unfortunately, this rules out the older equipment - which is a shame because, I agree, the sound is warmer.
I do own vinyl and cds, but very rarely dig them out these days. So a CD player or a turntable would be good but not essential.

No it doesn't; Bluetooth to phono adapters are about £2.50 on eBay and they work a treat. I'm using one myself to play from my phone to an old Technix amp.

19 March 2015
I’ve got some really sweet tools for this myself. Will dig some of them out later/tomorrow and see what’s what with them and show you maybe how they sound.
Sounds like you just need a Bluetooth bar and system. :)

19 March 2015
:cool:

I'm into the idea, at the moment, of walnut speakers in the corners of the room. I love a pair of walnut speakers, me :D
They’re just epic!
I loved my olde Panasonic cabinet speakers. They were amazing. So sorry to have seen them go, but they looked like a 70s wardrobe :D x

26 October 2018
Others may disagree but if you can come across an old valve amp the sound is so much richer I used to use a Leak Delta and the bass used to rearrange your internal organs if you wind it up

Reactions: Deleted member 1030