text talk is a real turn off

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
Z

zebo

I have been browsing a few of the threads on here, and have noticed quite a few posts with wot, wat, u, carnt, aint etc. this type of talk really grinds on me. Posts with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling, and especially text talk just annoy me, and are a HUGE turn off. Does it bother anyone else or is it just a grumpy old man thing ?

Reactions: Admin

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Not at all, I seriously despise poor grammar, and text speak. Really grips me to be truthful.
Hence this topic;
https://socialswinging.com/threads/grammar-to-be-or-not-to-be.486/

Also heavily discussed in this thread too;
The way/way not to introduce yourself in a message

Really annoys me and okay I will admit I do use typical site abbreviations like atm - IMHO - FYI but that;s about it..
The rest, poor grammar, poor punctuation and txt spk are definitely annoying. For me personally anyway as a person not 'Admin' ;)

Z

zebo

@Admin glad its not just me then, i would never consider a meet with someone who wrote, or heaven forbid, spoke like that.

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Oh god you started something now @zebo and I can tell you that I hate it, there are some people that just can not speak English, I am terrible at spelling as @Admin will be happy to confirm but I do try my very best, text speak..Big no no for me xxx

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Yes but spelling I can understand with a lot of people, as there is dyslexia et al.
But extremely poor grammar and text speak is just laziness...

@Therapon @zebo I will be brutally honest with you with one of my biggest hates right now, hate being the operative word too.....
US 'English' and Americanisation of our language.

Now that pees me off no end. Don't even get me going on that one :D

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Good timing, I went back to the Forums main page just in time to see a great example of what we are discussing here - it amused me anyway - but then it doesn't take much.

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
The new way of speaking;
wuu2?
nmu?

Which means in order
What you up to
Nothing much, you?

:mad:
Arrghhh we're in hell! :lol:

D

Deleted member 1030

We used to have a babysitter that would text me with such heavyweight literary works as:
wll B rnd @ hlf 8. wll B wth m8 n bf. tht ok?
To which I used to reply:
I will arrive at half past eight. I shall be with my friend and my boyfriend, will that be acceptable?

To which she would, eventually, reply:

"???????"

Reactions: Pearls and Admin
Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
We used to have a babysitter that would text me with such heavyweight literary works as:
wll B rnd @ hlf 8. wll B wth m8 n bf. tht ok?
To which I used to reply:
I will arrive at half past eight. I shall be with my friend and my boyfriend, will that be acceptable?

To which she would, eventually, reply:

"???????"
Haha brilliant and these bits of kids know nuffin....:eek::D:whistle:

D

D7andFLC

The new way of speaking;
wuu2?
nmu?

Which means in order
What you up to
Nothing much, you?

:mad:
Arrghhh we're in hell! :lol:
Apparently the whole abbreviation thing took off by kids wanting to stop their nosey parents reading what they were up to! I blame it all on the parents! :p D7

Reactions: Pearls

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
I'll be honest EvilS - I do tend to abbreviate a lot, and write things that just make life easier on forum posts.. The usual kind of gtfo, and FWIW - or IIRC etc.. That's me sadly, but text speak I don't do.
Eh we're all different. :)

D

Deleted member 1030

While overuse of text speak is annoying, I don't mind the odd lol or rofl. In fact, I think it's part of a healthy evolution of the language.

What REALLY grinds my gears is the use of bloody awful spelling, punctuation and grammar by businesses. McDonalds is the absolute worst for this - for a start, it should be McDonald's, "i'm lovin' it" should be I'm loving it (really winds me up, that one), and it's not a bloody "drive thru" it's a DRIVE-THROUGH!

No wonder kids have a flippant attitude towards spelling. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Bang on!!
We have a business local to us called, "The Plumb Center"
My God!!
And it's true and this is why kids DO have a flippant attitude towards spelling....
Even on UK iPhones = "Airplane" mode not Aeroplane why why why! Arrrgghh x