• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you

Usless Facts!

1 January 2017
City
Wrexham
I love a good unless fact that has no relevance whatsoever. My fave is.......

if you stood the uss nimitz aircraft carrier on its stern there is enough energy to fire a classic VW beetle 1 mile straight up.

pretty useless I think you'll agree but can anyone top that?

19 March 2015
Pretty epic!
I do know that if a con-rod snapped on a tuned racing bike such as MotoGP, at rull revs (red lining) and without restrictions in the way, such as the cylinder head for example - there is enough force and velocity to launch the piston into space.

1 January 2017
City
Wrexham
that's a good one hardly surprising when you think about the speeds involved. At 18000rpm the piston travels from the top of the bore to the bottom and back again 300 times a second

14 November 2016
City
Chesterfield
The largest number given a name is a google its a 1 with a hundred 0's after it and was named by a mathematicians son who said ooo that's a google of numbers dad how's that people?

D

Deleted member 3411

All of South America speaks Spanish except for Brazil. The reason is because there was a dispute between the Portuguese and Spanish as to who was going to have what part of the new worlds. To settle this they went to the Pope and he ordered an equerry to take a pointer and place it on the map of the world that was painted on the wall in the Vatican. He declared all to the left was Spanish all to the right Portuguese. However the tip of South America sticks out at that point so it's considered that Brazil was on the right side.... so they speak Portuguese.

14 November 2016
City
Chesterfield
the great white shark has up to 350 teeth in its mouth at one time and if it loses a tooth another one comes forward to replace it

Reactions: Pearls
1 January 2017
City
Wrexham
if the crew of a u2 spy plane opened the visor on their helmets at their cruising altitude they would be extruded through the gap as a result of the pressure difference.

Reactions: Pearls
26 July 2016
When the BSE crissis was on they removed the beef extract from Bovril, the recipe became nearly identical to Marmite, it amused me at the time that many of those who said they hated Marmite but loved Bovril didn't notice the difference. :grin:

Reactions: mtechstevo
D

Deleted member 1030

My management team at work.... Oh! Useless FACTS! I thought it said Useless C... never mind.

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
You sure, isn't English the official language of Guyana? Which though often forgotten is on the South American main land even if for cultural reasons it's normally considered part of the Caribbean.

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
During the time that Concorde was in service the R.A.F. had no aircraft that was able to keep up with her.

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
You sure, isn't English the official language of Guyana? Which though often forgotten is on the South American main land even if for cultural reasons it's normally considered part of the Caribbean.

Yes the official language of Guyana is English, French in French Guiana and Dutch in Suriname

H

his&hers

Afrikaans, one of the 11 official languages in South Africa, is a "descendant" of Dutch. It has however been officially recognized as its own language, and is now actually closer to Flemish than Dutch, though all three can communicate with each other.

Reactions: Therapon
H

his&hers

The royal family of Sweden is descended from one of Napoleon's generals, Jean Bernadotte, crowned in 1818.

P

peakcouple

During the time that Concorde was in service the R.A.F. had no aircraft that was able to keep up with her.

Sadly it wasn't in RAF service - if only, then I could have flown to Hong Kong in half the time instead of in a VC10!

The fastest manned RAF aircraft was the old Lightning, designed in the early 50s, and the fastest RAF aircraft (unmanned) was the Bloodhound anti-aircraft missile which in flight looked like, and was about the size of a small aircraft.

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
The R.A.F. had some amazing planes in the 50's

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…