A Question

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
D

Deleted member 1030

Good question. I would imagine that it's an extension of the use of swinging, in the sense of "a swinging party", "swinging sixties" etc. i.e. an exciting, fun, liberated thing.
Just a guess though... I'm going to see if I can find out :)

Reactions: Therapon and Admin

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Good question..!
I agree with @meandlis - I believe it came from swinging sixties, a swinging party etc..
The original term for it though was wife swapping wasn't it, so whether it derives from there somehow? Could be...

Reactions: Therapon

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Thank you both I thought that would be the case, and the term "wife swapping' makes me want to gip

I agree. Like wives are commodities or something. Awful phrase.
Yes I agree.. Terrible phrase really.
Another one I don't like is the term 'play' - I fekin hate the phrase 'was it a play meet'
Drives me insane. As does 'take one for the team' ... Get a grip!
New thread.. :D

D

Deleted member 3411

I think the term 'Swinging' actually is a 20's term that's got 'adopted'. Swing was a dance thing back then and many used the word to mean 'having a good time' (It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing). Curious as to 'Swing' now is a sexual thing when it was just fun before, yet rock n roll is now a form of music but once was the Afro-American slang for sex!!

Reactions: Admin and Pearls
Lovernotfighter

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
I think the term 'Swinging' actually is a 20's term that's got 'adopted'. Swing was a dance thing back then and many used the word to mean 'having a good time' (It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing). Curious as to 'Swing' now is a sexual thing when it was just fun before, yet rock n roll is now a form of music but once was the Afro-American slang for sex!!
I'm sure the early rock and roll pioneers were well aware of the sexual meaning of the term. On a side the changing use and meanings of words can be an interesting subject but perhaps that a discussion for another time.

Reactions: Pearls

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015

Yes, ha is one of several "options" put forward on google, some having slightly more credence than others :D

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Hmm I see your point but am sceptical on that one.. But then gay is the same isn't it? Gay back then was happy, now predominantly means something else.
I am unsure if the term is linked to swinging as in the 20's swing (dance).. Possible of course, but I am personally unsure if the two connect..:)