• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you

Abbreviations

MOTM

18 July 2015
I guess I'm very traditional (old fashioned) ok just old and I see more and more abbreviations for words everywhere, I've only recently sussed out LOL and that can mean so many things..
Are we going to need a dictionary for all these abbreviations soon
I'm lost with most of them and find myself googling most of them..
Do you find this new era of chat frustrating?

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015

Yes and no. I've nothing against using abbreviations when approprriate, and some I do need to lookup. My rant is people who insist on using text speak, and/or lots of abbreviations in a single message. If you can be arsed using English then I can't be arsed trying to decipher your infantile crap. Rant over.

Reactions: Deleted member 6485

MOTM

18 July 2015
This is what I mean I guess, text speak, I went through our sons phone (we do regular) I couldn't work out what the hell he was on about

4 January 2018
City
Doncaster
Well you cant beat the old english language but the i see the new abbreviations some what funny and one way of cutting of a chat if you dont want to talk to someone

Reactions: Deleted member 6485

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
I hate text speak, especially since I remember the dark days of 140 character text messages when 2 rather than too and h8 rather than hate was essential but it's not now so people stop using them.

On a side note Apple and Google both your autocorrect/predictive text systems are pretty bad.

24 November 2015
I looked at my daughters phone the ither day and i thought what the hell
Wub=where you been
Mmas= meet me at shop
Fgfaw=fancy going for a walk
Dont think i could cope writing it never mind deciphering ut

MOTM

18 July 2015
I looked at my daughters phone the ither day and i thought what the hell
Wub=where you been
Mmas= meet me at shop
Fgfaw=fancy going for a walk
Dont think i could cope writing it never mind deciphering ut
That's what I was reading but couldn't work it out and Wbu?

Reactions: Therapon

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
This is what I mean I guess, text speak, I went through our sons phone (we do regular) I couldn't work out what the hell he was on about

I know what you mean. I have had a few messages from someone which just said "Ring me". I don't respond to demands so I just ignore them until I get a Please. The point I'm trying to make is that overuse of abbreviations is simply a lazy way of replying and comes across as I can't be really bothered making the effort to chat to you. It's not for me but I am an antique.

Reactions: Baldrick
9 September 2017
I think I'm genetically incapable of using text speak.
I've tried but my fingers won't cooperate.

Antogs xx

Reactions: Pearls
5 July 2016
City
Ossett
I think the Teenagers have a code book they use to decipher it all IMHO

X

Yeah I'm down with the youth

10 July 2018
Hell, I use semi-colons in text messages! I’m hardly going to welcome abbreviations, unless absolutely sensible ones, like ETA, etc.

19 March 2015
CBA... TLDR.

ommm xx

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…