England World Cup 66 - Time To Get Over It?

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Are football players paid too much ?

Is £93 million too much to pay for one player ?

Personally I think no Leicester won't make the top 6, Wenger has passed his sell by date and cannot help Arsenal win consistent silverware, (ableit the Arsenal board need to approve some serious spending) yes Mouriniho will take MU back to the top, No Pogba was quite cheap when the purchase is put into perspective, yes they are paid too much but they are way down the league on people who are overpaid and many should be paid more.

But what do you think ?
This is one thing that has gripped me for a long time. It even made me go off football altogether.
I cannot remotely justify why so many players are transferred/sold for such obscene amounts of money..
Especially when we have front line nurses, saving lives - earning a pittance.. Or front line police, having to deal with some horrific things and earning such small amounts of money.

Really really annoys me, the levels of money involved for players. In fact it irks me.
Yes they have skills but £30/90+m for one player? It's gone mad....

D

Deleted member 1030

a Nurse will not bring in any more income for the NHS

That's not what nurses are for though, so I'm not sure what your point is, there.

Anyway, Liverpool will win the league/cup double, this season. This season. :cautious: Well, OK, maybe not, but it's going to be a great season for us, I reckon. (y)
I can't see Leicester repeating any great success.... but then, if you'd asked me about them, this time last season, I wouldn't have predicted anything different.
Think it might be Swansea's relegation season (n)
Arsenal will finish in the top four, of course.

Reactions: Admin
N

NigelandJulie

Personally i could'nt give a toss about football, think they plough up all the football pitches and set potatoes and cabbages,
( runs and hide in shed )
And all the pitches in wales i'd plant leeks for all you welshies :rofl::rofl::rofl:

S

Scrunchy&Muffet

Actually it is a situation that is getting better, I did say I thought it was a good price when viewed respectively, and that thought was based on what clubs used to pay for players, Manchester United paid around 20% of their last seasons profit for Pogba, not bad when you think that they paid over 60% of their pre seasons profit for Dennis Law back in 1962.

Back in 1996 Alan Shearer became the worlds most expensive player when he Newcastle United paid £15million for him, now that WAS expensive since Newcastle's profit for the previous season was around £18million, so paying double their profit to secure the players services. History shows that the it was money well spent and Newcastle made more money by having him in the squad than they paid for him or spent on his wages.

As for footballers salaries, yes it is crazy, but quite low compared with others, a quarter of a million a week for someone like Rooney sounds a lot, it is a lot, it is £13,000 million a year, but sportsmen have a short career and only part of it commands high salaries and even then only for very few of them, an Actor on the other hand can work as a child star to their 70s and look at their wages, Matt Damon has so far earned around £45million for his roles as Jason Bourne, another £11million for the film The Martian.

Madonna worth an estimated £400 million, her MDNA tour earned £233 million.

The NHS, surely they can pay their Nurses more, Manchester United pay their players well, why can't the NHS, oh because they pay their 60 top people TWICE what we pay the Prime Minister Some are earning £280,000 - nearly double David Cameron's salary of £142,500 - plus many have pension pots in excess of £1 million. One chief executive who was flown in from Australia was handed a £50,000 'golden hello' and another was helped with expenses of £36,000 to pay his rent, the Evening Standard reports.

I agree some people deserve more and I hope that some of the money we save on our EU payments will be used to give them a decent salary but comparing them with footballers is unfair, look first at their own bosses.

There is no doubt that in the next few months MUFC will get their money back on shirts and memorabilia bearing Pogba's name and they are hoping that he will also make a difference between such things as Champions League qualification or not, that would bring in millions more.

Sadly a Nurse will not bring in any more income for the NHS and that is a hard fact of business, both MUFC and the NHS are run as businesses, some better than others.
Where do you get all these quotes from lol. Youre like a walking fact machine lol.;)

Footy....meh!! Its great that we won in 66 but yeah we need to get over it now and face facts that we just dont have a skilled enough team to win it again!! :eek:

Footballers wages should be capped and anything over that going to the Nhs or Education or Charity. How much cash does one person need fgs!!!

Xx

S

Scrunchy&Muffet

Oh i agree yes there shoulf be a cap for all wages. But we were discussing football whivh is why i used them as an example. I dont agree on actors earning millions and singers etc. Yep cap it and make the world a little more equal x

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Its basic economics and called laissez faire. We've seen what price capping does and it doesnt work. Lots of things in life are unfair/unequal but id prefer things as they are rather than be dictated too on what I can or cannot do. I makemy own life, take my own decision and live with the consequences.
Right back to football ........ and that perenial question. Does the influx of foreign players help or hinder the England team?

S

Scrunchy&Muffet

Its basic economics and called laissez faire. We've seen what price capping does and it doesnt work. Lots of things in life are unfair/unequal but id prefer things as they are rather than be dictated too on what I can or cannot do. I makemy own life, take my own decision and live with the consequences.
Right back to football ........ and that perenial question. Does the influx of foreign players help or hinder the England team?

Lol Mr T oh im not answering that one lol. But im sure someone will have an opinnion here. Xxx

Reactions: Therapon

Steed99

Oldest Swinger In Town
15 September 2015
City
Kettering
Well maybe 50 years ago but I grew up not far from Wembley Stadium and was in the Scouts at the time. Somehow someone arranged for us to do some fundraising by selling cold drinks outside the stadium. Can clearly remember it now - "Orange, Lemon and Cherry drinks, only 6d". Happy days!

Reactions: Deleted member 1402
D

Deleted member 1402

I'm not into footy anymore.
The year was 1989, everyone I knew were Liverpool supporters, everybody raved about John Barnes. I was 9, just started playing football at school and for some unknown reason, I decided to support Manchester United. I became a huuuge fan during my teenage years, I always played right wing defence for the all girls team I played for. I'd come straight home from school and get straight into my black Sharp viewcam away kit and play footy with the lads. I was so obsessed, when my mum went into labour on 14th May 1994, United was playing Chelsea in the FA cup Final and I was watching the match on telly. I made my mum wait until half time to go to hospital (I was going with her and my dad). Soon as we got to hospital, I put the telly on and watched United win. My brother is now a Chelsea fan!
So, I'll not bore you with the rest. I first went to Old Trafford to watch a game, at 16, I saw Paul Ince right up close! I'd always be in the pub, watching the matches, when I had my son at 18, I bought him a tiny kit......I could go on. At 26 I just gave up watching, still bought the United shirts, then at 30 I completely lost interest. I've no idea who is who, for what team, or whatever, but there you go, my almost 1000 word 2p worth! :cool:

D

Deleted member 1402

Love it, we all have fads, and some last longer than others, but glad you enjoyed it while you did.
it was a bit more than a fad, football became my life, playing against local teams, actually going to Old Trafford to watch the matches, now not many Utd fans can say they've done that. I chose to focus on being a working mum, the main bread winner at home, then out of nowhere, my life changed.

D

Deleted member 1402

sorry didn't mean to dis your passion, you never forget your first love and yes sometimes other things in life become more important than things we considered important, I don't let my passion for football overrule the other parts of my life but I do love the game.
no offence taken, I wasn't really being constructive to the OP. Just giving a little perspective from what I did love

M

MickeyBlueBalls

Football, don't get me started. An overpaid, underworked bunch of pre Maddonas. I too was a football fan of a very successful North West team. What destroyed the game? Premier League, a well known satellite broadcasting company and other media and greed. The behaviour of the players is nothibg short of disgusting at times and goes unanswered with a fine considered to be pocket change. In terms of national team we won a world cup 50 years ago - get over it. It's the same as ww2 - it still gets brought up. We have far better sportsmen and woman who have achieved far greater and in most cases on a shoestring budget. These people are real athletes who dedicate a hell of a lot more time to be the best and display exemplary behaviour at all levels.
And ask the question how many other sports out there endure embarrassing and mindless savagery at the hands of the fans?
Not a sport, a spectacle. Rant over.

M

MickeyBlueBalls

I agree and it's not about forgetting. It's about acceptance, forgiveness, lessons learned and making a future.
Leeds were a great team back in their day werent they?

X

XX

Being Welsh football was never really a sport for me, until I was told one fateful evening that if I was going to go out with the lads every saturday afternoon I had to choose a team. Being clueless I asked well who do you support? I thought what the hell it makes no difference so I'll support the same team as you.

The season had a few ups and downs, more ups to be fair and as the season went on I got to know who the players were, instead of just shouting 'well done 7'.

I certainly never expected to be jumping up and down in my living room on a wednesday night like a loon with two of my best mates, it was kinda tribal I guess. That was followed by a quickly arranged taxi into 'Town' and a hell of a hangover the next morning.

I've been an avid supporter ever since and been to many home and away games.

That season was 98/99 , I met Clare at Christmas that year and if I hadn't been a Utd fan too it would probably have never worked out as she's more passionate about them than me.

M

meet_the_fockers

Had a 50 / 50 chance to be right but a 100% chance of being the fastest to reply not having to search :rolleyes:
This is true, im unsure whether, congratulations or comiserations are in order ;) i damn well know i need me sunnies on :D x

Reactions: Therapon