Halt And Catch Fire

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
X

XX

Hi,

does anyone watch Halt and Catch Fire? It's a fictional series about the development of computers, networks, etc. it's loosely based on reality but the company names, characters, etc. are mainly fictional.

If you haven't seen it I'd recommend it even if you're not really into the history of computing and technology as it has some great character based stories.

Spoiler alert - don't read if you do watch and haven't seen the latest Episode (Series 3, Episiode 8) : "You are not safe", although I've cut out part of the quote so that it's not a true spoiler.

There is a statement made about what's coming, i.e. the internet and I think it's well written and worth quoting :-

"Contrary to what you might have heard, my friends, you are not safe.

Safety is a story. It's something we teach our children so they can sleep at night, but we know it's not real.

Beware, baffled humans. Beware of false prophets who will sell you a fake future, of bad teachers, corrupt leaders and dirty corporations. Beware of cops and robbers... the kind that rob your dreams. But most of all, beware of each other, because everything's about to change.

The world is going to crack wide open. There's something on the horizon. A massive connectivity. The barriers between us will disappear, and we're not ready.

We'll hurt each other in new ways. We'll sell and be sold. We'll expose our most tender selves, only to be mocked and destroyed. We'll be so vulnerable, and we'll pay the price. We won't be able to pretend that we can protect ourselves anymore.

It's a huge danger, a gigantic risk, but it's worth it. If only we can learn to take care of each other. Then this awesome, destructive new connection won't isolate us. It won't leave us in the end so... totally alone."

N

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Never seen it, I guess it sums up a lot about the internet but it does seem to miss out the benelovent side of what is a useful tool but then it wouldn't make a good series would it?

X

XX

Never seen it, I guess it sums up a lot about the internet but it does seem to miss out the benelovent side of what is a useful tool but then it wouldn't make a good series would it?

Do you think? I think the quote "It's a huge danger, a gigantic risk, but it's worth it. If only we can learn to take care of each other. Then this awesome, destructive new connection won't isolate us." kind of does?

Reactions: Therapon

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Yes but that quote could just as easily be assigned to life in general. Everything is a risk and potential danger and the internet is no different. Used correctly it can be a force for good.

X

XX

Yes but that quote could just as easily be assigned to life in general. Everything is a risk and potential danger and the internet is no different. Used correctly it can be a force for good.

You're right and I do agree, it just hit me as a better piece of writing than usual for a TV entertainment show so thought I'd share.

Reactions: Therapon