Life Out There?

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
D

Deleted member 1030

It's a very interesting discovery. Three of those planets are in the 'Goldilocks Zone' (not too hot, not too cold but just right to sustain life). They are also very close to each other and any possible inhabitants would see the other planets in their sky, appearing larger than our moon does to us. They are all extremely close to their sun, which is much dimmer than our own - this means their 'years' would only last somewhere between one-and-a-half and twenty days! Summer might only last a few hours - a bit like the UK :D

19 March 2015
It's official, I'm coming out of the scientific closet wearing my lab coat, clutching my beakers and bunsen burner! I'm a massive science nerd, there I said it!

15750577469231116247.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

(Picture is representative of myself, sans boobs :cool:)

So NASA have announced that they have discovered 7 exoplanets orbiting a star which may have the ability to support life (OMG! I know, right?!)

NASA Telescope Reveals Record-Breaking Exoplanet Discovery
So a few questions:
a) What does this mean for us?
b) Could there be life out there?
c) What about interstellar travel?
d) What about an interstellar exodus?
e) What could be found on those planets?

Personally, I don't think we're alone. The universe is a big place, with lots of galaxies and life couldn't have just evolved on one little blue planet in a spiral galaxy (see, nerd! I told you!). I think that this is another fantastic opportunity for discovery and exploration. Would there be an exodus from our home planet? Possibly, if those planets could support life. But not for a very long time.

Look I'll say right now, this is not a theological discussion. We can save that for another thread, this is purely science-based. So please, none of the "you're going to Hell" or "everyone knows life occured in 7 days" point of view.

So, over to you guys.
Much love, H.
I think personally that there is a hell of a lot out there that we may know about, but which our governments will never tell us about as it would cause social breakdown, widespread pandemonium, panic and fear.
Religion would go bonkers and we've had people killing each other, the world would descend into chaos.
But I do believe we are far from being alone in the universe/s.

Space travel and light year space travel would be a serious problem in the future and for another reason most wouldn't think about.
Imagine this, we've all done it;
You're in your car driving down a road or on the motorway at speed, and a stone chipping, hits the windscreen and cracks it or even just chips it.
Now imagine travelling at light speed and a dust particle or small piece of debris hits the vessel.
It would be disastrous.
Time will tell though am sure. :)

Reactions: AutumnH and Pearls
M

MickeyBlueBalls

There are infinite planets and galaxies out there so we can't be the only life supporting planet.
Will we ever set foot on any of em.....no. They're just too far away and we will probably never have the capability or technology to realise the dream. Surely if the whole travelling at light speed concept were possible then a species more intelligent than us from another planet would have already figured it out and stopped by for a bacon sandwich and a brew by now? :)

Reactions: Pearls and AutumnH
D

Deleted member 1030

There is a part of me - a hippyish, spiritual part of me - that believes that contact with an alien race would benefit mankind with its different perspectives on religion, politics, systems, love, sex, life-in-general. A future where we could all live amongst the stars, free and noble. :cool:

There is, however, another part of me that thinks we'd invade them, strip their mineral assets and leave their planet burning o_O

Earth's rugby team would be f**king amazing though! :D

Reactions: Pearls
26 July 2016
City
Bolton
There is a part of me - a hippyish, spiritual part of me - that believes that contact with an alien race would benefit mankind with its different perspectives on religion, politics, systems, love, sex, life-in-general. A future where we could all live amongst the stars, free and noble. :cool:

There is, however, another part of me that thinks we'd invade them, strip their mineral assets and leave their planet burning o_O

Earth's rugby team would be f**king amazing though! :D
What makes you think it won't be earth that's been stripped of all its assets and left burning or even worse.

Reactions: Pearls
7 November 2016
City
London
So, Frank Drake is an American astrophysicist responsible for SETI (the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence).

His equation is an application of Bayes Theorem to calculate number of solar systems, planets, planets in habitable zone, planets with life, planets with intelligent life wishing to communicate and then the final component of the equation is the chance that they, like humans, have a taste for self destruction.

D

Deleted member 1030

So, Frank Drake is an American astrophysicist responsible for SETI (the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence).

His equation is an application of Bayes Theorem to calculate number of solar systems, planets, planets in habitable zone, planets with life, planets with intelligent life wishing to communicate and then the final component of the equation is the chance that they, like humans, have a taste for self destruction.
Cool. I shall have a look at that, Thank you :)

7 January 2017
City
Birmingham
On the subject of intelligent life visiting or contacting us.
A few years old, granted but still noteworthy.