5p Plastic Bag Charge in England - why are they going nuts about it? It's chaos!

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Good God what is it with the English?
Us Welsh folk have had bag charges for years now. yes initially pissed off, I mean - it's a carrier bag we pay for that through our goods surely?
But here in God's own country, (yes Wales :D ) it's generated £22 MILLION !!
And all for charity.

That's worth it.

But oh no, the shoppers and shops themselves in England, are crying out - there'll be mass confusion, people will lost tempers at the tills, people will be confused and don't know what to do..
Basically mass chaos throughout the country.

Confusion Over 'Complicated' Plastic Bag Law

Plastic bag charges in England: will there be 'chaos' at the shops?

it's not hard to digest my brethren - you shop, you need bags (as you left all your good ones at home tut) so you pay 5p for them.. Simples!

Now what REALLY pees me off, is the charge here in Wales is for plastic bags right?
So why is it, when you go to a McDonald's (rare here as we don't really believe in it) and they ask you when in the drive-thru if you want a bag for 5p. Great.. but these bags are recycled paper and available to BE recycled, so why do they charge when it's for plastic bags to increase recycling and reduce plastic waste/use.. Not PAPER bags that are 1, recycled and 2, can be recycled again.

What gives??
bastids! :p

Your thoughts guys? esp our friends across the water in England....
Scotland and NI have been doing this, like us too - for years. :)

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Well apparently the english are very confused by this...Doh.. Its not hard is it, you pay 5p and you get a plastic bag..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Admin
M

meet_the_fockers

Yes well I bought shoes in Wales!! Extortionate I refused to pay 5p.. Damn I had to carry one around under each arm pit all bloody day... Don't dis De English.. You you leekies :p

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Hahaha :D
I have this image now of you strutting your stuff with shoes for show everywhere :p

Indeed Therapon, tell me about it! What annoys me here though, is when you do a big shop and have loads of bags from various different shops, it bloody adds up let me tell you... Creaming it they are!

F

Findaswingersclub

Apparently people are confused because small local shops don't have to charge u for bags but large shops / chains do. Bit messed up if u ask me, it's 1 or the other not sometimes u will get charged sometimes u won't.

On the subject of if we should pay 5p well will it stop people buying bags..... No it won't

Will it help recycle? Not at all if u need a bag and it costs u 5p can it be recycled? No

Who gets to keep the 5p for each bag..... Unknown

Someone will benifit from this, just hope it's for a gd cause and not someone's pocket if it is someone's pocket then no we shouldn't pay it, but if it's going to gd causes why not

But I don't think it would stop people using them if they needed it

That's my 2p worth lol

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Yeah it is annoying but think how pristine the environment will be :). I thought the idea to charge was originally related to the fact that most bags were not biodegradeable/recycleable so why am I being charged for a bag that very clearly states that you can recycle it and it is biodegradable. However it obviosly makes sense because I can still buy a take away in a nuclear proof plastic package (which you can eventually prise open with a crow bar) and it's a free, so yes I'm a totally confused Ein Englander.

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
It definitely reduced carrier bag usage here in Wales..
What you see more and more of, is like when we go to M&S or something, people doing their shopping are using canvass bags more and more? So like our M&S bags, Morrisons or Aldi's etc we use in other shops - you can buy large canvas ones and large thick plastic ones, so people are tending to reuse these more and more..

In that respect, less plastic carrier bags are being used, trust me in a years' time - you WILL see a difference and more people using their own bags or bags from other shops. So it does work, but by how much is totally dependent on how society in England adapts to it.

As I said, money wise - Wales raised 22 million pounds for charities and it DID go to charities.. That's gotta be a good thing?

F

Findaswingersclub

Just have to wait and see @Admin I don't have an issue with it long as it's going to a gd cause and does what it's meant to do

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Agreed... I am naturally suspicious and do worry if the media et al lie to us about where the money goes, I don't believe for one minute that it's all gone to charity!! I don't trust ANY government.. so I doubt it's 100% accurate and 100% been handed to charities.. As you say my friend, a game of wait and see. ;) (y)

M

meet_the_fockers

Apparently people are confused because small local shops don't have to charge u for bags but large shops / chains do. Bit messed up if u ask me, it's 1 or the other not sometimes u will get charged sometimes u won't.

On the subject of if we should pay 5p well will it stop people buying bags..... No it won't

Will it help recycle? Not at all if u need a bag and it costs u 5p can it be recycled? No

Who gets to keep the 5p for each bag..... Unknown

Someone will benifit from this, just hope it's for a gd cause and not someone's pocket if it is someone's pocket then no we shouldn't pay it, but if it's going to gd causes why not

But I don't think it would stop people using them if they needed it

That's my 2p worth lol
Here you are have half a bag for your two penneth worth ;) :rofl:

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
On the subject of recycling our local centre seem to have a skip for most things, metal, small electricals, paint, paper, clothes, glass to name a few. Anyway some months ago I took a load of branches and logs to the local centre. I put the branches in the skip and was about to put the logs in when I heard some say Oi (must be related to @meet_the_fockers) you can't put them in there. Anyway if I remember the conversation went something like this;

Recycling assistant - Oi you can't put them in there
me - err but it's garden waste
ra - no they are too large the chipping machine can't cope with them.
me - ok can I put them in the wood skip
ra - no
me - but it's wood
ra - no it isn't
(Now I'm thinking this was definitely a tree when I cut it down, I remember it well as it wiped out part of the neighbours fence. Anyway it's got bits where the branches were cut off, it has tree rings and bark so it must be a tree ergo it's made of ******* wood)
me - Its a tree trunk
ra - Yes but it isn't wood (by this time we had a small audience)
me - ok so what goes in the wood skip
ra - wood, bits of fencing, skirting boards, furniture, timber etc
me - so where does these go then
ra - in the household/non recyclable skip

So much for recycling.

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Oh my God! Let me guess, male, 25 and below, wet behind the ears, knows it all.. thick as two short planks! :D (pun intended)

Reactions: Lace

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Oh my God! Let me guess, male, 25 and below, wet behind the ears, knows it all.. thick as two short planks! :D (pun intended)
Spot on, the only thing you missed off was totally disinterested. However I guess not many people normally turn up with a tree trunk so maybe he was just confused - nah just a budding little hitler.