Grammar! To be or not to be?

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
M

meet_the_fockers

Oh good morning Admin, do you ever sleep?

I thought I was doing my usual, rambling to myself. Ohh had to backtrack then to insert comma.

Reactions: Admin and Pearls

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
I find it abhorrent. It's being forced upon people and it irritates the hell out of me.
Some are fine with it, others are not... I'm one of the latter ;)

Reactions: Pearls
L

Lovers_For_Life

Good Morning, both - Mizz Focker, Mister Admin... (bows low)

I do prefer correct spelling and grammar. I can tolerate the odd typo... Or internet acronyn. I used to work in aerospace, which is full of TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) and more. I even have my own set of letters, should I need them.....:sneaky:

Reactions: Pearls and Admin

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Good morning...
Yes indeed, hence the 'lose the acronyms Admin' :D
Yes odd typo and things like atm etc. But wuu2 m8 lolz
:eek:
Pff letters, show off :p

L

Lovers_For_Life

I am not familiar with the 'Lose The Acronyms' advertisements - ??

I am just an Engineer.... :)

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Basically.... loosely translated.. my memory and my apologies, but thank you.
Or words to that effect ;) :D

22 July 2015
Definitely - I used to proofread as part of my job and I have what's known as the Proofreaders Curse. This means I see mistakes everywhere (except in my own stuff, Lol) but my true pet-hate is using the wrong word.

Your instead of You're.
Loose instead of Lose and the longer forms of Looser and Loser.
Probably biggest of all and I think this is criminal is Of instead of Have.

I have actually seen the grammar mistake in effect. I used to work in a pub and we used to have an area next to the washing area which we didn't want anyone to block. So we put up a sign that said "Please do not stand here and try and get served" but everybody did. Anyway one night when we were waiting to get the go-head to go and I happened to be standing near there. I looked at the sign, then I called a colleague over and said "What does that sign say?" He said "Please do not stand here and try and get served" I said "No, read it again" he read it out identically. I said "No, do it slowly," he then said "Please....do....stand....here" then it dawned on him there was no "not". It read "Please do stand here and try and get served" so no wonder we had problems. We were saying "stand here to get served." The next day we changed it and had more success from then on so even though we knew what it was supposed to say, others were reading it correctly. We just assumed it told people not to stand there.

And that's why grammar is important. As the joke says "Helping your Uncle Jack off his horse" is massively different to "helping your uncle, jack off his horse" :lol::rofl::lol:

Reactions: Admin

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
HUGE pet hates of mine!
Should of not should have... have is NOT of! :mad:
Your - you're :mad:
Too many.. to many
Too many to mention and I seriously get irritated by it! Dyslexia is one thing, poor grammar through being lazy is something else.

Smart phones, Facebook and the Internet are all too [sic] blame for this and it's like a damn epidemic. :mad:

Reactions: Driftwood70
22 July 2015
Web sites & Microsoft often use the "American English" in spell checkers and many people just go with what they are shown is "correct".

Sarah x x x

Microsoft have a way of defaulting the language. So you can choose to have (English UK) or English US when you install Windows (or at least initially set it up first time).

Also speaking of Americanisation - the letter "z" is used in place of "s" a lot such as "Realize"

Just my two penny's worth :)

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Another! I detest the Americanisation of so-called British English.
It's English, end of. There IS no American English. It's a mish mash version of English!
ooer - better slow down on the caffeine.. BP is increasing.. :D

22 July 2015
Another! I detest the Americanisation of so-called British English.
It's English, end of. There IS no American English. It's a mish mash version of English!
ooer - better slow down on the caffeine.. BP is increasing.. :D

Well it's not just the language where Microsoft is concerned, it's keyboard layout too, but then it usually defaults to whichever language you choose for the library.

I also have an issue with missing "U's". Colour, Honour, Neighbour :eek:

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
My God me too.
Not just U's but also they drop double L's in other words;
Color - Honor, neighbor, splendor....
Traveling, idyl - idyll
Another - 'ED' instead of 'T'
Learnt - learned
Earnt - Earned
Skeptic - sceptic
Aluminum not aluminium
Tire - tyre

Finally - spelt - spelled..
This is triggering my OCD you know that Mr @Driftwood70

22 July 2015
:D:D:D
My God me too.
Not just U's but also they drop double L's in other words;
Color - Honor, neighbor, splendor....
Traveling, idyl - idyll
Another - 'ED' instead of 'T'
Learnt - learned
Earnt - Earned
Skeptic - sceptic
Aluminum not aluminium
Tire - tyre

Finally - spelt - spelled..
This is triggering my OCD you know that Mr @Driftwood70

You're not alone there. :D

M

meet_the_fockers

I think a lot is tongue in cheek :D
Personally I am a grammar nut but won't lose sleep over it. I mean, we all make typos but full on grammatical errors in posts, messages or anything aimed towards gents/ladies/couples etc can be extremely off-putting.

My biggest one has to be your/you're and there/their/they're
or even
emphasise - emphasize!!
Criticise - critisize ?
Grr.. American English. Why don't peeps in the UK understand our own language and how to write it correctly?

Oops.... coffee time methinks :D
I presume, you of course, mean people? :p