text talk is a real turn off

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Actually @amboman as this is definitely Americanisation and cropping up more and more, do you think it's anything to do with privatisation? o_O

TownhouseTwosome

VIP Member
5 April 2015
This is my pet hate! I often find myself reaching for my red pen to correct posts and emails! I see other clubs list events on A Nother swinging site and I hold my head in my hands at the spelling and grammar; it is SO unprofessional! In the days of spell checkers, businesses especially should be double checking their entries online, in order that they portray the right online presence. I understand that some people have learning difficulties, but again...spell checker! Type your entry into a Word document first and it even suggests any grammar alterations that may be apparent.
On a social level, I think text speak on emails and forums is sloppy. It says that I don't really have the time or want to put in the time to make an effort with this conversation and I don't care what people think about me. Text speak should be kept to phones. I understand that many people access forums on phones, but this does not mean that they should resort to text speak online. Grrrrr
If this makes me a grumpy old fart, then so be it, but I would walk on by if someone emailed for a potential meet in text speak.
Vic xx

Reactions: Therapon and Admin
18 October 2015
City
Nantwich
Slightly to one side of the topic (yes I hate text speak) but I had to share this. Even a university educated matron didn't see why this was wrong... in a Wigan hospital!
I did get a notice removed from a local swimming pool where the management would not 'except' responsibility for items not placed in lockers. Very worrying(n)

Therapon

Admin
11 August 2015
Yes I saw a council notice yesterday which read "Danger children do not run in the road" Bearing in mind this was at a children's nursery where they are a tad too young to read this I assume the road must be dangerous.

Reactions: Pearls
18 October 2015
City
Nantwich
Yes I saw a council notice yesterday which read "Danger children do not run in the road" Bearing in mind this was at a children's nursery where they are a tad too young to read this I assume the road must be dangerous.
And actually children frequently do!

Reactions: Therapon
27 April 2015
We agree totally, No to text talk it maybe, wrongly, gives an impression of a person, and not always a good one, even if that impression is totally wrong the damage is often done, we would presume the majority of people suffering with text talk are those like ourselves (a little over 30 ish ) We don't feel its our responsibility, to learn a new version of the English language, so we can understand a younger generation when they have had access to the same language as us during their school years !! Rant Over !!

27 April 2015
We agree totally, No to text talk it maybe, wrongly, gives an impression of a person, and not always a good one, even if that impression is totally wrong the damage is often done, we would presume the majority of people suffering with text talk are those like ourselves (a little over 30 ish ) We don't feel its our responsibility, to learn a new version of the English language, so we can understand a younger generation when they have had access to the same language as us during their school years !! Rant Over !!
And no text talk throughout !!

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Wot u2 on, ttfn lol xx

Reactions: The-A-Team
28 May 2015
I have been browsing a few of the threads on here, and have noticed quite a few posts with wot, wat, u, carnt, aint etc. this type of talk really grinds on me. Posts with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling, and especially text talk just annoy me, and are a HUGE turn off. Does it bother anyone else or is it just a grumpy old man thing ?
Short hand like "u", "k", and similar don't bother me. But fuck, please use the correct "your", "you're" and "two, too, to" hehehehehe

15 August 2015
City
Gloucester
Another person in agreement here! I delete messages containing 'u', 'wat' and other similar terms. (I also despise the use of 'hun', 'hunni', 'babe' and 'doll' - argh!!!!)
If a profile is a shop window to entice someone in (and I am well aware that our profile text currently leaves a lot to be desired!) then a first message to someone is akin to unsolicited/ junk mail - without something to make it alluring or interesting (which 'txt spk' certainly is not!) it will go straight into the (recycling) bin! :D:p
Mrs xx

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Another person in agreement here! I delete messages containing 'u', 'wat' and other similar terms. (I also despise the use of 'hun', 'hunni', 'babe' and 'doll' - argh!!!!)
If a profile is a shop window to entice someone in (and I am well aware that our profile text currently leaves a lot to be desired!) then a first message to someone is akin to unsolicited/ junk mail - without something to make it alluring or interesting (which 'txt spk' certainly is not!) it will go straight into the (recycling) bin! :D:p
Mrs xx
Wot u mean babe, brb :D;)x

Admin

Admin
15 September 2014
Mrs xx

I'm with Mrs! ^^ (y) (y) :D
It's true though, as the first message to someone, it's critical and can be the make or break.
The "Hi hun wuup 2nite" messages just won't cut it.

No one is saying you have to write war and peace, but blimey.. Add some creativity!
That doesn't mean 'Ello darlin' either. :p