Who is your favourite artist

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Wow that's really good. Love stuff like that.

It's like my Batman game where you have to line up the Riddler question marks.
I am so in depth and learned on art :D

B x
Hey, whatever you like is cool!

It's like when you go to a gallery and there's a little plaque with waffling guff written by someone with too many letters after their name... Balls. You have an instant reaction to a piece of art and no amount of dressing it up in fancy language changes that.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Lol, I'm talking rubbish - this is my fav painting - Tiger in a Tropical Storm - Surprise! By Henri Rousseau.

I always pop into the National and spend a few mins looking at that when I'm in London. Always.

Henry-Rousseau+-+1891+-+Tiger+Surprised.jpg
* I once painted this, full-size, on the wall of a friend's bathroom. It was enjoyable and it was also really hot in there and a good excuse to hang around topless in front of his gf :whistle:

M

meet_the_fockers

Did you look at brad kunkles work.
You would think they where photographs. Theyre not.. er.. hang on. X

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
They have a touch of Brian Frouds work about them. Nice x
I remember him.

When I was 10 or 11 I went to Gothic Image bookshop in Glastonbury and ordered a copy of Goblins of the Labyrinth, which was a glossy, coffee-table book of Froud's concept art for the film Labyrinth. Of course, my parents were less pleased when they got a call from the shop and were expected to pay for it :D

They did buy it tho', and it's sat downstairs to this day.

Reactions: Seamstraight
31 July 2017
City
Liverpool
I remember him.

When I was 10 or 11 I went to Gothic Image bookshop in Glastonbury and ordered a copy of Goblins of the Labyrinth, which was a glossy, coffee-table book of Froud's concept art for the film Labyrinth. Of course, my parents were less pleased when they got a call from the shop and were expected to pay for it :D

They did buy it tho', and it's sat downstairs to this day.

Been a fan of his since seeing the dark crystal, when I was a little kid, doodling drawings of dragons and dark beasties. His work has that wonderful and dark aesthetic of english folk lore and myth.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Been a fan of his since seeing the dark crystal, when I was a little kid, doodling drawings of dragons and dark beasties. His work has that wonderful and dark aesthetic of english folk lore and myth.
Bloody hell. I've still got that on VHS :D

Yeah, like illuminated manuscripts or something

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Cracking film. Still watch it now, when I can. VHS? Does that mean you still have a video? Wow.. Retro, old school viewing! :)
I have two machines that play both DVDs and VHS. Videos are cheap as chips in charity shops and an easy way of filling the school holidays... but yes, as with most things, I have a foot in both camps

D

Deleted member 1030

* Picasso's Guernica (stunning on so many levels)
Just an incredible piece of art, as you say, on many levels - visually, politically, aesthetically, emotionally - it is, possibly, one of the single most important pieces of art of the 20th century. I've been lucky enough to see the tapestry version, when it was at the Whitechapel.... but haven't managed to get to see the original yet.

M

meet_the_fockers

Guess its only me that can see no appeal in picasso's work whatsoever.. :(

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
You are not alone....x
See, there's another odd one.

I've never been a fan of modern art in general and disliked Picasso in particular. The other half does tho' and on the same trip that we went to the Dali museum we also went to the Picasso museum in Barcelona.

There you get to see a full spread of his works over a lifetime and, I have to say, I came away with a new appreciation of his skills and his smashing/redrawing of convention.

With the exception of his early work or with his "blue period" I still don't find it lovely.

Bit Guernica (on display in Madrid) genuinely is a work that grabs one by the balls and twists. There's something about the composition, the limited use of colour, the monumental size.

So I'm still not a fan of Picasso's work in the round but that painting is something else.

Imo