Benefits

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
I have been having a peak at a programme "How to get a council house"
I am shocked at how easy it is for people not only get a home but can claim so many benefits and the expectant attitude they have.

Is our benefit system working?

@Admin and I have worked since we were 14 and continue to do so, we have fallen on very bad times but have still worked to provide for 4 children, two who have gone through university and done well'
I had a stroke back in 2014 which left my right side still weak today, I remember the consultant asking me what I did for a living, I told him and to my shock horror he said, " you need to give that up as your health comes first"

No way was that going to happen and I probably could have claimed everything under the sun I guess.

Now we have a neighbour who has a bad back and can't walk (so he says)
He toddles off every day down to the offie to buy 12 cans of beer and picks up a take away for him, his wife and two children.. All paid for by the state.

Our other neighbour is a single mum of two, worked all her life and has even done a degree, she has had many health issues but it has never stopped her and is now a successful personal trainer and is doing very well.

So we are all aware that the benefit system is there for genuine people who depend on it but is it too easy for people to claim all of this money?

Don't people want to work any more?
Shouldn't the question be, it's not about what you can't do but what you can do?

I know this is a touchy subject but I have been brought up with a working family, my dad being a coal miner and a tough cookie, my Mam who is now 70 and still working part time, she has crooked fingers from arthritis but she won't stop ever.

Thought's please guys x

Reactions: Baldrick
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Begin at the beginning - what channel is the programe on and how is it easy to get a council flat?

(I'd really like to know so that I can pass it on to the desparate people I know who're stuck in temporary a/c)

Reactions: Deleted member 6485
Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Begin at the beginning - what channel is the programe on and how is it easy to get a council flat?

(I'd really like to know so that I can pass it on to the desparate people I know who're stuck in temporary a/c)
Channel 4 I think, one couple with 5 children were given a home with in 5 days of arriving in this country with no job?? I couldn't believe it.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Rehashed, easily disproved, poor-bashing, Tory propaganda.

Yawn. :sleep:
Yep. We're being conditioned by politicians and the press to pick up Victorian ideas of the 'feckless poor', who are getting 'something for nothing'.

What you might not realise about the benefits bill is that around half (£111bn) goes to pensioners (yes, a pension is a benefit! any of you slightly wrinkly swingers reading this, drawing a pension are sponging off the State/the rest of us, as The Sun might put it). Over £46 billion goes on family benefits, income support and tax credits, 2/3rds of which goes to people who are already working but who can't, for whatever reason, make ends meet. This includes benefits such as Child Benefit and support for people on low income.

Around £2.2 billion goes to the unemployed.

That's it.

So when I hear stories about people who 'buck the system' or get stuff 'they're not entitled to', I think, Ok there may be a valid need that these people have... but I also think about the hundreds of thousands, millions who struggle and are caught in a shitty trap and just get told they're scroungers to boot.

Seems a bit rich, somehow.

How is the welfare budget spent? | Visual.ONS

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Is it fair that ex military are living on the streets with no help, I get em a cuppa on a Saturday but can't do no more or is it fair that my neighbour can afford a take away every night and 12 cans with a warm comfy home because he claims he can't walk and is scared of heights..
I' don't do statistics, I just see what I see in RL
My Mam has a state pension but she has a very good private one and a large amount of savings, does she need the pension off the state? No but has she worked damn hard for it, yes she has.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Is it fair that ex military are living on the streets with no help, I get em a cuppa on a Saturday but can't do no more or is it fair that my neighbour can afford a take away every night and 12 cans with a warm comfy home because he claims he can't walk and is scared of heights..
I' don't do statistics, I just see what I see in RL
My Mam has a state pension but she has a very good private one and a large amount of savings, does she need the pension off the state? No but has she worked damn hard for it, yes she has.
So there you go - your mum is drawing benefits to which she is entitled.

That's the point - people are entitled to assistance from the State. It's not megabucks and it's not unreasonable.

And ex-services people on the streets has more to do with the particular stresses of the occupation and aftercare needed than it has to do with the benefits system.

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
So there you go - your mum is drawing benefits to which she is entitled.

That's the point - people are entitled to money from the State. It's not megabucks and it's not unreasonable.

And ex-services people on the streets has more to do with the particular stresses of the occupation and aftercare needed than it has to do with the benefits system.
I haven't mentioned about people who are entitled and people who genuinely need help should get help but when I see people who are screwing the system it pisses me right off.. I have a bad back so can't work or even move then you see them jollying it up at a theme park jumping about on all the rides..
I have a family member who will openly tell you and is very proud of this fact, I'm not going to work as I get more money off the state.. This family have two holidays a year, two new cars on the road and a caravan, it's fucked up.

D

Deleted member 1030

Care to elaborate exactly what, in the OP, was all of the above? o_O
I am shocked at how easy it is for people not only get a home but can claim so many benefits and the expectant attitude they have.

Is our benefit system working?
So we are all aware that the benefit system is there for genuine people who depend on it but is it too easy for people to claim all of this money?

Don't people want to work any more?

Rehashed:
benefitsstreet_logo_w.jpg
scroungers_headlines_lg.jpg
Easily disproved: The London borough with a '50-year waiting list' for council houses
Bankrupt ideas: The benefits system is riddled with fraud

Poor-bashing, Tory Propaganda: High Court judge rules Tory benefit policy is unlawful and causes 'real misery for no good purpose'
Is this truly Britain – a land that spies on sick and poor people? | Frances Ryan

Reactions: Baldrick and Pearls
Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Like I have said, I am only talking about personal experience, what I know to be fact, I don't know any facts in the press and figures, I can only say what I see and what I do see is a load of shit.. I would love a caravan and two cars, oh and two holidays a year, seems if you claim everything you can.

19 March 2015
I have a family member who will openly tell you and is very proud of this fact, I'm not going to work as I get more money off the state.. This family have two holidays a year, two new cars on the road and a caravan, it's fucked up.
Indeed, and there's the main nerve exposed isn't it.
Does it work?
For those who need it, and I mean really need it, somewhat it does. It helps keep their heads above water - barely.
For those who take it but choose to do so and not need it, it's a flippant 'fuck you' to anyone who does need it but can't get the help they need.
Poverty is at an all time high as we know. We know there are more and more people out there who struggle to even buy food or clothes, let alone find a safe, warm place to sleep overnight.
But the point from the OP is, in my understanding; does the benefit system really work? Is it too easy for people to claim money from the state when they may not need it but choose to take it rather than get off their backsides and do something about it?

I'll get back to this.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
See these people don't claim benefits like an MP or Prince Charles claims benefits but a different type of benefits that they weren't entitled to because they're poor.

Reactions: Pearls
25 July 2016
In my own personal opinion I wouldn't give any benefits to the under 25's from personal experience 95% wont work as there to lazy to get out of bed also giving houses to single girls who get themselves pregnant just for the house and benefits should be looked into more closely as there is an estate I know of were it is almost full og single mothers who are pissed or drugged up to the eyeballs and there kids are dirty and scruffy because the lowlifes spend all there benefits one cider n weed.. end of rant.........

Lovernotfighter

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
No matter how good a system you have they'll always be people that play it from personal gain, whether by legal or illegal methods.

I tend to think britian's benefits system is completely arse backwards with no real focus on good quality outcomes for the un/underemployed, or sustainability for those that will rely on the state long term. It's these things that in part leads to the poor view of the benefit system I think, ohhh and the let's say exaggerations reported in the press.

Reactions: Vanezza and Pearls
19 March 2015
Politics aside, we have a welfare system that is sometimes abused. If it is report it.
Which is the precise point in the OP indeed.
However, obviously, there is a lot of issues and is never as straight forward as that due to the very complex issues involved.
Ah but that's almost putting words into @Pearls mouth isn't it.. That's not really what was asked. It's not about her having a point of view that is sustained by your collage, more an objective post with a question related; "Is our benefit system working?"
In that post, contextually, you are trying to suggest that there is a Tory political undertone taken and a suggestive one that "workhouses should be reintroduced to help the poor" kind of attitude, which is not the case.
There's no Tory led agenda, no poor bashing... but an interest and genuine question after watching a deeply sensitive documentary. Which I managed to watch only some of due to working on things. But I got the gist of it.
Not sure of the sway from the journalism involved though so can't pass comment.
In it's basic form, this is more to the point I believe, but I may be wrong;
Politics aside, we have a welfare system that is sometimes abused.

So in this context, it seems you may be looking too far into post, looking for political undertones that don't exist.. (y)
(bearing in mind we work in different rooms plus have a kiddie home ill, who is eye-siding me at every moment :D)
A true patriot speaks :rolleyes:
He's just a wally end of.
But does he have a point about the Left being the true fascists... :whistle:

Joke. :D

Last edited:
26 July 2016
City
Bolton
I personally would do away with the whole benifits system. No work no pay. I am aware that less than 1% of the population would not be able to work due to mental or health issues and in my system they would get whatever they needed to live a good life. But everyone else works doing something. All training would be free and be paid at the rate the job pays once trained. I would set a minimum wage that would be payed on a day rate so if you work you can live on what your getting paid. Sick time would require a doctors note. I would also bring back national service for everyone.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
I personally would do away with the whole benifits system. No work no pay. I am aware that less than 1% of the population would not be able to work due to mental or health issues and in my system they would get whatever they needed to live a good life. But everyone else works doing something. All training would be free and be paid at the rate the job pays once trained. I would set a minimum wage that would be payed on a day rate so if you work you can live on what your getting paid. Sick time would require a doctors note. I would also bring back national service for everyone.
Lol