Should Corporal Punishment Should Be Allowed Back In Schools

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
That time, yes. She's mostly very good and conscientious. Not quite sure where it's come from tbh :eek:
They have a 'traffic light' system in the school room, with coloured Lego bricks. If you're bad, they're taken away. She, for the first time ever, got them all taken away at once without warning and was sent (briefly) to another classroom. When I quizzed her on it (she'd apparently drawn on a rubber??) it seemed very trivial and my daughter was pretty upset about it.

I didn't say anything to the teacher as I wasn't there and don't fully know what happened and it's her call in that situation.

I did use it as an opportunity to demonstrate to my daughter the capriciousness and pointlessness of so much school discipline...

Here endeth the lesson.

19 March 2015
They have a 'traffic light' system in the school room, with coloured Lego bricks. If you're bad, they're taken away. She, for the first time ever, got them all taken away and was sent (briefly) to another classroom. When I quizzed her on it (she'd apparently drawn on a rubber??) it seemed very trivial and my daughter was pretty upset about it.

I didn't say anything to the teacher as I wasn't there and don't fully know what happened and it's her call in that situation.

I did use it as an opportunity to demonstrate to my daughter the capriciousness and pointlessness of so much school discipline...

Here endeth the lesson.
Sounds completely OTT. :confused:

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Sounds completely OTT. :confused:
Quite possibly but no real harm was done. I dunno, maybe the teacher was having a bad day. Teachers are people too. Maybe my daughter did something else to piss off the teacher. I wasn't there.

But I thought it a useful window into how fecking stupid school punishments can be

Reactions: Therapon
12 August 2015
City
Liverpool
Except alot of the time it's situational. A good teacher shouldn't allow their bad day influence them that much, though they are human like everyone. Do you know what she drew on the rubber? How many times she'd been told to stop and pay attention? Or what she did with the rubber, ie throwing it? How many times does she and this teacher clash during school hours.
Not saying it wasn't ott, but having grown up in a college surrounded by teachers, alot of the time there is alot more factors involve then what the child, who thinks it's unfair as a rule, says.

We arent there to decide if these "stupid school punishments" are deserved or not. Occasionally they are indeed an over reaction, or just simply they are following the disciplinary procedures, in which case the procedure needs to be fixed.

12 August 2015
City
Liverpool
I should clarify, I'm not saying it wasn't OTT. If it was just meant to put out that schools are subject to a lot of tensions. Giving corporal punishment to them, in a system that has errors, and over reaction opens up a possibility of alot of kids being hurt for tiny things, or teachers being abused for not being able to follow the disciplinary system due to worrying about kids saying it wasnt deserved, the teacher facing disciplinary action themselves for something that they didn't do

D

Deleted member 3175

I don't believe that corporal punishment should be brought back, but some form of punishment.

In today's society we are all too soft.

I got slapped when I was younger for doing wrong, same at school, taught manners etc played out till the street lights came on.
We are far too PC nowadays.
S x

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Except alot of the time it's situational. A good teacher shouldn't allow their bad day influence them that much, though they are human like everyone. Do you know what she drew on the rubber? How many times she'd been told to stop and pay attention? Or what she did with the rubber, ie throwing it? How many times does she and this teacher clash during school hours.
Not saying it wasn't ott, but having grown up in a college surrounded by teachers, alot of the time there is alot more factors involve then what the child, who thinks it's unfair as a rule, says.

We arent there to decide if these "stupid school punishments" are deserved or not. Occasionally they are indeed an over reaction, or just simply they are following the disciplinary procedures, in which case the procedure needs to be fixed.
Exactly - which is why I didn't challenge it. As I said, let it be a lesson on school discipline.

I'm fine with dealing with the aftermath of that - I would be less happy in another world where I was dealing with a child that had been physically punished for something similar.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
I don't believe that corporal punishment should be brought back, but some form of punishment.

In today's society we are all too soft.

I got slapped when I was younger for doing wrong, same at school, taught manners etc played out till the street lights came on.
We are far too PC nowadays.
S x
It's a different world

D

Deleted member 3175

It's a different world

It is but it didn’t harm us did it? Kids nowadays have no manners and don’t give too hoots about anything but themselves surely some form of punishment even if it’s not pc would do them the world of good?

Reactions: Pearls
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
It is but it didn’t harm us did it? Kids nowadays have no manners and don’t give too hoots about anything but themselves surely some form of punishment even if it’s not pc would do them the world of good?
I think discipline begins in the home and I don;t think it's desirable or fair to outsource that to teachers.

In short; I blame the parents, not the schools

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Here's a paradox: are kids safer now than they were 40 years ago? Yes, considerably. Not only are childhood illnesses on the decrease but road safety is up and many other things have changed...

One thing I did think of was that 40 years ago, in the world of Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and all the other fuckers most kids who reported pedophiles were ignored, and some were beaten for 'telling tales'.

Now, given the rampant levels of kiddy fiddling going on at all levels of society, institutions &c &c... no one wants a return to that.

But in speaking about and raising awareness we are also 'contributing' to that opposite sensation that kids don't know their place, are insolent and so-on.

Can you see the parallel or am I just talking rubbish?

19 March 2015
Can you see the parallel or am I just talking rubbish?
I for one can...
Yes kids have to know their place, but not to be in a place where they're not allowed to speak. So, as adults and parents, we have to be responsible enough to let them know that if such things happen, it's perfectly okay to tell someone and speak up.
But if there's something that is say for an example, a discussion going on between grown ups, then they're not to interfere or speak/get involved.
The balance is finding: what's allowed for being a child and what's allowed for being a child who is a 'tween and becoming a young adult/young person.
Our 14 year old (15 tomorrow) often discusses such subject matter and adult, world knowledge and experience seeking things which are not suitable for our 10 year old.
Our 10 year old is a clever little chappie, but he doesn't want to know how Hitler became chancellor, or the Third Reich or worse; why rape continues to go on when we're in a society that is socially accepting of many things but is also socially responsible for some things too - such as not coming forward and speaking about sexual incidents/physical abuse and so forth.

Finding that balance between being a child, being allowed to be a child, and being a child becoming an adult - is the most difficult thing and can make a crap parent, a good parent. A good parent, a great parent.. and so forth.
The again, it's each individual case by case dynamic.
And now I fear I am talking crap.. :confused:

22 May 2017
City
Huntingdon
a very interesting thread

Today we have found out our daughter was sent to the heads office with other students. They are doing there sats shortly but have done some mock ones. Their scores were not brillant and she was shouted at by the head mistress. There is too much stress put on yr 6s with tests they forget they are children, not helpful shouting at them when they should look at what they need to do help them.
my son is playing up lunch time, when we talk to him he says dinner ladys shout at them and do not listen to them if there is a problem. He has gone round splitting fights up this has happen more since they banned football.
There seems to be no respect for the children so they show no respect for the adults which is a shame.
I dont believe in corporal punishment but fair punishment if needed. one of the kids in school who is very naughty gets to play with lego at lunch if he has been good, i do not agree with this as praise would be better in my eyes.

bx

19 March 2015
a very interesting thread

Today we have found out our daughter was sent to the heads office with other students. They are doing there sats shortly but have done some mock ones. Their scores were not brillant and she was shouted at by the head mistress. There is too much stress put on yr 6s with tests they forget they are children, not helpful shouting at them when they should look at what they need to do help them.
my son is playing up lunch time, when we talk to him he says dinner ladys shout at them and do not listen to them if there is a problem. He has gone round splitting fights up this has happen more since they banned football.
There seems to be no respect for the children so they show no respect for the adults which is a shame.
I dont believe in corporal punishment but fair punishment if needed. one of the kids in school who is very naughty gets to play with lego at lunch if he has been good, i do not agree with this as praise would be better in my eyes.

bx
Yes, sadly that's the way it's also gone.
Naughtier children get more praise than the ones who behave and work hard; they seem to go unnoticed. It's a very fine line between praise, telling off. Encouragement and discouragement. x

D

Deleted member 7954

Ok so i used to work as a Teaching Assistant and im a mum to 2, one of which has behavioural and developmental problems. So ive seen both sides of the coin first hand.

I think bringing corporal punishment back would be a minefield with all the do gooders these days. I think that schools need the power to beable to discipline more but to what extreme im not sure. I think the whole problem has been caused by parents not being able to parent due to fear of being labelled abusive!!! So the kids have nothing to fear...nothing to respect.
I was slapped as a child when i was very naughty. It did me no harm. And i respected my elders and teachers. I know kids that have been allowed to get away with murder...physically assulting their parents because the parents dare not restrain their kids. What sort of society allows this?? Ours!!

So maybe corporal punishment isnt needed but powers for parents to be parents and maybe for schools to have a little more power to discipline too definitely are.

Just my personal views. X

Reactions: Pearls and MP386
22 July 2017
City
Nottingham
Surely what works for one individual (child or adult) does not work for the next. You smack one with a ruler (for instance) that child sees it as a challenge, it barely scratches the surface both mentally and physically. The next child gets a smack with a ruler, it scares them and they emotionally feel fear and pain. Someone early said, I got punished at school as a kid did me no harm. On the flip side old Bob sat in the corner, it did and he was an unhappy or violent man because he proceced that information and conditions very differently.
No system can work the extremes. Most schools now have units to remove the really challenging kids. Support staff for kids who have learning disabilities. All the others have to be jogging along in the middle and muddle through. It definitely is a case that those who shout loudest.... And it takes a skilled teacher to strike a balance of control, using any available techniques! What a mine field.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Ok so i used to work as a Teaching Assistant and im a mum to 2, one of which has behavioural and developmental problems. So ive seen both sides of the coin first hand.

I think bringing corporal punishment back would be a minefield with all the do gooders these days. I think that schools need the power to beable to discipline more but to what extreme im not sure. I think the whole problem has been caused by parents not being able to parent due to fear of being labelled abusive!!! So the kids have nothing to fear...nothing to respect.
I was slapped as a child when i was very naughty. It did me no harm. And i respected my elders and teachers. I know kids that have been allowed to get away with murder...physically assulting their parents because the parents dare not restrain their kids. What sort of society allows this?? Ours!!

So maybe corporal punishment isnt needed but powers for parents to be parents and maybe for schools to have a little more power to discipline too definitely are.

Just my personal views. X
Very interesting, reasonable views (y)

Reactions: Pearls
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Surely what works for one individual (child or adult) does not work for the next. You smack one with a ruler (for instance) that child sees it as a challenge, it barely scratches the surface both mentally and physically. The next child gets a smack with a ruler, it scares them and they emotionally feel fear and pain. Someone early said, I got punished at school as a kid did me no harm. On the flip side old Bob sat in the corner, it did and he was an unhappy or violent man because he proceced that information and conditions very differently.
No system can work the extremes. Most schools now have units to remove the really challenging kids. Support staff for kids who have learning disabilities. All the others have to be jogging along in the middle and muddle through. It definitely is a case that those who shout loudest.... And it takes a skilled teacher to strike a balance of control, using any available techniques! What a mine field.
And you've touched right on the fault line of the debate