Benefits

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
smoking and drinking is a choice..Not something that taxpayers need to foot the bill for.. housing yes, smoking ..No.

That's the moral line
You missed the point... and if I ended up in hospital as a result, that would cost the State... but that wasn't my point.

The point is about how we look at evidence

Reactions: Pearls
D

Deleted member 6684

You missed the point... and if I ended up in hospital as a result, that would cost the State... but that wasn't my point.

The point is about how we look at evidence
I didn't miss the point. Agree with you on evidence. Science and statistics teach you that anecdotal facts can be hypothesis generating but needs to be proven. Data shows that smoking increases risk of cancer and is a public health burden. A few individuals who are outliers don't sway it for me.

19 March 2015
Aye but it's fair to say the general consensus here is;
Benefits are there to help those in trouble, needy, ill, poor or those in troubled waters. No choice.
Benefits are NOT there to help those pretending to be in trouble, needy, ill, poor or those in troubled waters, so they can get their 8 pack every day. 2 holidays per year.. and so forth - without having to get out and work for it, through choice.

Reactions: BoltonBiFemCpl
Lovernotfighter

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
smoking and drinking is a choice..Not something that taxpayers need to foot the bill for.. housing yes, smoking ..No.

That's the moral line
Smoking is highly addictive, due to the nicotine in tabacco, and like any addiction once formed it stops being a choice and starts being a physical need. The same is often true with those the consume alcohol daily, of course with alcohol (ethanol) being the addictive compound.

Reactions: Pearls and Baldrick
24 November 2015
Oh I have a brilliant example and this only happened this morning ,we employed a young lady as a waitress whom got paid last saturday was meant to at work this morning has rung to say she's not coming back when asked why not her reply was priceless "I only took the job for the mandatory 28days you have to when you've been on dole for so long or they stop your benefits , it really beggars belief

Lovernotfighter

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
Aye but it's fair to say the general consensus here is;
Benefits are there to help those in trouble, needy, ill, poor or those in troubled waters. No choice.
Benefits are NOT there to help those pretending to be in trouble, needy, ill, poor or those in troubled waters, so they can get their 8 pack every day. 2 holidays per year.. and so forth - without having to get out and work for it, through choice.
As you pretending to be in trouble, no change in the system or screams of "make work pay" will stop those that choose to pretend to be in trouble from doing so.

Reactions: Pearls and Baldrick
D

Deleted member 6684

Smoking is highly addictive, due to the nicotine in tabacco, and like any addiction once formed it stops being a choice and starts being a physical need. The same is often true with those the consume alcohol daily, of course with alcohol (ethanol) being the addictive compound.
It's addiction that's self induced. Sorry mate..I stand by that ..In that fags and alchohol is not something benefits should fund.

Reactions: BoltonBiFemCpl
5 July 2016
City
Ossett
The issue is though that if we built anywhere near the amount of homes we need, it would expose the over valued housing market (mainly due to lack of supply) and push many in to a negative equity situation.
Or on the flip side allow the new generation a first step onto the property ladder.

So are properties being kept artificially high so we don't slip into another recession thus showing how successful the Government has been? :whistle:

B x

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
I didn't miss the point. Agree with you on evidence. Science and statistics teach you that anecdotal facts can be hypothesis generating but needs to be proven. Data shows that smoking increases risk of cancer and is a public health burden. A few individuals who are outliers don't sway it for me.
Fine - so our benefits 'cheats' may not also be outliers?

D

Deleted member 6684

Fine - so our benefits 'cheats' may not also be outliers?
Sure.. outliers they maybe in number of ppl, but not insignificant in terms of impact on a local community. Would love to see what numbers are on that?

Lovernotfighter

MOTM

3 February 2016
City
York
It's addiction that's self induced. Sorry mate..I stand by that ..In that fags and alchohol is not something benefits should fund.
But you recognise it's an addiction and claim to be a moral man, yet believe the state should pursue a programme of cruelty against every smoker that needs financial assistance form the state to find work.

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Or on the flip side allow the new generation a first step onto the property ladder.

So are properties being kept artificially high so we don't slip into another recession thus showing how successful the Government has been? :whistle:

B x
It's interesting to note that successive waves of immigrants to this country are typically billeted in the worst available housing that no-one else wants - hence the Jews at Golders Green or the Huguenots in Whitechapel, the Windrushers to Brixton or the Somalis put on the North Peckham estates.

I remember when I worked in housing that people who wanted a transfer (overcrowding or whatever) had a 10+ year wait in some London boroughs OR could elect to move to somewhere shitty but have a real home (like Frome in Somerset) where there was a glut of council housing 'cos no-one wanted it.

Your bottom line is correct, we need more social housing.

Reactions: Baldrick and Pearls
D

Deleted member 6684

But you recognise it's an addiction and claim to be a moral man, yet believe the state should pursue a programme of cruelty against every smoker that needs financial assistance form the state to find work.
Smoking makes ppl lazy and therefore they cannot work? I don't see the point

4 July 2017
City
Glastonbury
Sure.. outliers they maybe in number of ppl, but not insignificant in terms of impact on a local community. Would love to see what numbers are on that?
Sure:

UK government figures estimate benefits overpaid due to fraud is £1.2 billion and tax credit fraud is £380 million. So just under £1.6 billion in total; less than 1% of the overall benefits and tax credits expenditure and less than benefits underpaid and overpaid due to error.

It's a lot of money, and it’s never right, but unfortunately fraud happens in many walks of life. Sometimes it helps to compare the figures with other fraud or error. More than this amount was overpaid in benefits due to claimant and official error. That was £2.2 billion in 2011/12 and is recovered by the UK Government. Equally claimant and official error led to £1.3 billion benefits being underpaid.

So to get some perspective, benefit fraud represents 2% of the estimated total annual fraud in the UK. Public sector fraud, which includes benefit fraud, is £20.3 billion a year, so within this category it accounts for just under 8%. The majority of this £20 billion is tax fraud which costs the economy £14 billion annually, or 69%. So we can see that both in absolute and percentage terms tax fraud is a much bigger issue than benefit fraud. In fact, out of all the categories of fraud calculated by the UK Government, benefit fraud is the second lowest. Only identity fraud which costs individuals £1.4billion a year comes below it.

Fraud and error in the benefit system: financial year 2016 to 2017 estimates - GOV.UK

5 July 2016
City
Ossett
Smoking makes ppl lazy and therefore they cannot work? I don't see the point
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry mate but laziness is not a by-product of smoking. I smoked since I was 15 for 20 years of my life.
In my entire working life I have been unemployed for 1 week through redundancy and that's only because I was negotiating my new contract with another firm :).

B x

D

Deleted member 6684

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry mate but laziness is not a by-product of smoking. I smoked since I was 15 for 20 years of my life.
In my entire working life I have been unemployed for 1 week through redundancy and that's only because I was negotiating my new contract with another firm :).

B x
Buddy. .. I said that as a sarcasm as to why smoking justifies benefits to LNF's point

Reactions: Baldrick