Room 101

• Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
D

Deleted member 1030

OK, here are two that drive me nuts (and be fair, it’s a short drive); I suspect the reason for both is I’m a snob about language, and because I’m a writer:

1/ People who always confuse “I don’t like it” with “it is bad”. Sometimes, sure, something is both. But in the main, someone ‘not liking something’ just means it’s not to their taste, not that ‘it’ - whatever ‘it’ is - is objectively ‘bad’.

2/ People who conflate “not liking” something with “actively disliking” it. There’s lots of things I don’t like, as in I don’t overtly enjoy watching or doing; there’s also stuff I actively dislike, that I would prefer did not exist. (To use an example elsewhere in the site: I don’t like, don’t enjoy, tv soap operas, whereas I actively dislike, loathe in fact, so-called ‘reality tv’.)

None of which means that you shouldn’t stick anything into Room 101; anything can go in, if you dislike it, if you don’t like it, if it’s a bad habit, just for shits and giggles.

——————————————————————

(This list originally had six items in it but I cut the final four before hitting ‘post reply’ because even to me, they were esoteric and purely me screaming into the void: ‘WHY do people use the wrong words?!?!? WHY?!?!?!’)
First of all, thank you for cutting the final four. You are only meant to choose one at a time, after all :rofl: Luckily, I think we can take your two remaining points together.
Do people get the two things confused? I'm stuck trying to think of an example tbh. Saying that, I do think it could be one of those examples of words and phrases becoming diluted in their meaning, such as 'awesome' and 'genius' and our old friend 'literally' - I've heard (and you will actively dislike this) a reality star described as "literally an awesome genius" :rolleyes: While he doesn't inspire awe and is not a genius (by any stretch of the imagination) literally or metaphorically, the upside was that I got a full house on 'twat bingo' :D
Plus, words and phrases change their meanings over time - just ask an ancient person about the word 'gay', for example - and there's not a lot we can do about it, unfortunately.

Sorry, I don't like it....
room101denied.gif

18 October 2015
City
Nantwich
I can understand where @fincon is coming from. It's the whole irritation about effect and affect and except and accept. You know what people mean but they are using the wrong bloody word. It's worse when posted in public places e.g our local swimming pool at one time refused to except responsibility for items not placed in lockers. I was tolerant of reading it for the first three weeks and then the switch flipped....I could stand it no longer. I said 'excuse me. Terribly sorry to bother you but do you know there is a problem with your signage?' Or words to that effect.....or should that be affect?:eek::D

Reactions: fincon
Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Ok this has taken some time to think about but I have finally decided that fast food outlets should be banished..
Mc'Donalds, Burger King, KFC and so on.
Where ever you look there is something lit up in neon signs advertising the high calorie culinary delights tempting our taste buds and our childrens for as little as 99p but with enough salt and sugar in them to supply an adult for a week.
We are now a nation of obesity that is over stretching our NHS, heart disease is at it's highest and I believe a lot of it is down to fast food chains.
It's easy and convenient and cheap but at what cost?
Have we become so lazy?
Why as parents should we feel pressurised into buying a happy meal for two quid because you get a free toy and no washing up??
As busy parents ourselves we know how easy it is but we also have to take responsibilities and chucking high fatty foods at our children just isn't the right thing to do just so they can get a free toy but potentially end up being ill.

10 July 2018
I can understand where @fincon is coming from. It's the whole irritation about effect and affect and except and accept. You know what people mean but they are using the wrong bloody word. It's worse when posted in public places e.g our local swimming pool at one time refused to except responsibility for items not placed in lockers. I was tolerant of reading it for the first three weeks and then the switch flipped....I could stand it no longer. I said 'excuse me. Terribly sorry to bother you but do you know there is a problem with your signage?' Or words to that effect.....or should that be affect?:eek::D
Exactly.

I’m not talking about when words change their meaning over time; it’s when words are used incorrectly.

A W H Smith’s advertising ‘stationary’ not ‘stationery’. Or a politican caught in a scandal saying ‘I utterly refute this!’ when they mean ‘deny’ or ‘rebut’, because refute means to prove, not to deny.

And of course using phrases like “from the gecko’, not ‘from the get go’.

Some words do get corrupted over time. A ‘nickname’, for example, was originally ‘an eke name’, eke being old English for ‘extra’. Or, the reverse: the fruit was originally ‘a noringe’, before decades of [mis]use turned it into ‘an orange’.

Reactions: Pearls
5 July 2016
City
Ossett
Ok this has taken some time to think about but I have finally decided that fast food outlets should be banished..
Mc'Donalds, Burger King, KFC and so on.
Where ever you look there is something lit up in neon signs advertising the high calorie culinary delights tempting our taste buds and our childrens for as little as 99p but with enough salt and sugar in them to supply an adult for a week.
We are now a nation of obesity that is over stretching our NHS, heart disease is at it's highest and I believe a lot of it is down to fast food chains.
It's easy and convenient and cheap but at what cost?
Have we become so lazy?
Why as parents should we feel pressurised into buying a happy meal for two quid because you get a free toy and no washing up??
As busy parents ourselves we know how easy it is but we also have to take responsibilities and chucking high fatty foods at our children just isn't the right thing to do just so they can get a free toy but potentially end up being ill.

Are you mad? :eek: I'd die of starvation if fast food places didn't exist........ and yes I am that lazy. I can't be bothered cooking for one :rofl:.
Can we at least keep Maccie D's then? A wrap of the day is only £1.99 and is usually my lunch if I pass one ;)

X

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Are you mad? :eek: I'd die of starvation if fast food places didn't exist........ and yes I am that lazy. I can't be bothered cooking for one :rofl:.
Can we at least keep Maccie D's then? A wrap of the day is only £1.99 and is usually my lunch if I pass one ;)

X
Think of your arteries now... So no :D

5 July 2016
City
Ossett
Think of your arteries now... So no :D

Fecking Arteries spoiling everything all the time o_O:rofl:

But it has Lettuce, Tomotoes, Cucumber and a nice bit of chicken...... Basically it's a Chicken Salad so it must be good for me? Right?:D

X

D

Deleted member 1030

Ok this has taken some time to think about
Nah, it's not going in :D

Just kidding! :p
It's a bit weird, isn't it? When burger restaurants first made their way over the pond, we were determined to do it in a British style. Wimpy's served at the table and gave you a knife and fork to eat with. Now, in a short space of time, we are quite happy to have our dinner chucked at us, through our car window, wrapped in a paper bag which we then eat with our fingers. Not only that, but our children quickly learn to demand the salt, fat and sugar-laden crap from harrassed parents - so quickly into their short lives, in fact, that I wonder if they're putting traces of it into baby food, as a way of indoctrinating the kids :cautious: As for the chicken shops et al, when they are selling meals for 99p (while school dinners, for example, cost £2+ - and generally taste like crap) well then, that sorts out dinner for junior at a price that parents can afford, the high fat content notwithstanding.

But...but... I love a Maccy D's! Well, once in a while, at least. And, therein, lies the problem. Some of it is bloody tasty and what would I do without a McD's breakfast on a payday weekend? Plus, look at young Balders there, wasting away to nothing for the want of a chicken wrap :rofl:

I don't think I could put fast food outlets in...... if you weren't the sexybosslady :sneaky: So, for you @Pearls I'm putting fast food joints into Room 101
room101in.gif

Pearls

MOTM

18 July 2015
Nah, it's not going in :D

Just kidding! :p
It's a bit weird, isn't it? When burger restaurants first made their way over the pond, we were determined to do it in a British style. Wimpy's served at the table and gave you a knife and fork to eat with. Now, in a short space of time, we are quite happy to have our dinner chucked at us, through our car window, wrapped in a paper bag which we then eat with our fingers. Not only that, but our children quickly learn to demand the salt, fat and sugar-laden crap from harrassed parents - so quickly into their short lives, in fact, that I wonder if they're putting traces of it into baby food, as a way of indoctrinating the kids :cautious: As for the chicken shops et al, when they are selling meals for 99p (while school dinners, for example, cost £2+ - and generally taste like crap) well then, that sorts out dinner for junior at a price that parents can afford, the high fat content notwithstanding.

But...but... I love a Maccy D's! Well, once in a while, at least. And, therein, lies the problem. Some of it is bloody tasty and what would I do without a McD's breakfast on a payday weekend? Plus, look at young Balders there, wasting away to nothing for the want of a chicken wrap :rofl:

I don't think I could put fast food outlets in...... if you weren't the sexybosslady :sneaky: So, for you @Pearls I'm putting fast food joints into Room 101
View attachment 59406
So do I win something :rofl: