What Are You Reading?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1030
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
  • Please check your spam/junk folder after registration, for your email. Thank you
Welcome to our Swinging Community
Join now to meet other like-minded swingers.
L

Louise94

So, just that; What book are you reading at the moment? Have you read something recently that you want to recommend?

I'm currently working my way through Bernard Cornwell's Warrior Chronicles, a historical fiction series based around the Saxons and Vikings. I'm also reading 'And The Sun Shines Now: How Hillsborough and the Premier League Changed Britain' which I'd recommend to anyone who finds modern football (as opposed to the game we grew up with) a bit awful. It's very worrying in places and written by a survivor of the 1989 disaster.

So... what'cha reading?

I was just about to start a book thread, good job I did a little search before making a faux pas. :D

I am currently reading, and throughly enjoying, ‘An Intimate History of Humanity’ by Theodore Zeldin. It explores history, the human experience and is a delight to read.
I think this quote from the preface describes it best:

‘Instead of explaining the peculiarity of individuals by pointing to their family or childhood, I take a longer view: I show how they pay attention to - or ignore - the experience of the previous, more distant generations, and how they are continuing the struggles of many other communities all over the world, whether active or extinct, from the Aztecs and the Babylonians to the Yoruba and the Zoroastrian, amongst whom they have more soulmates than they may realise.’

I’d also love to hear, not only about current books, but the books you have loved, the ones that opened your eyes, the ones that changed your mind or maybe even changed you.

If anyone would like to share, that is. :)

Xxx

L

Louise94

I'm currently reading Poldark and really enjoying it.
I also have A game of thrones complete collection that i need to work my way through.

Lou xx

I’ve only watched the TV series of Poldark, I love a period drama - who wrote the book? :D

The Game of Thrones books are fantastic!
I’m very excited for the new series. We’ve had to wait so long.

Xxx

Reactions: Deleted member 1030
D

Deleted member 8095

Winston Graham wrote the poldark book. I love a period Drama too :lol: watching the series prompted me to read the book, I've only read half the first one but loving it so far xx

I cannot wait for the last series, i love the show :):)

D

Deleted member 6485

I’ve only watched the TV series of Poldark, I love a period drama - who wrote the book? :D

The Game of Thrones books are fantastic!
I’m very excited for the new series. We’ve had to wait so long.

Xxx
Not long now xx

D

Deleted member 11852

Currently reading I let him go by Denise Fergus. It’s the story of James Bulger, so moving and eye opening xx

26 December 2018
City
Cardiff
I really should get round to watching game of thrones some day.. Haven't got a book on the go atm, so I'll cheat and say I'm reading the news :p as I do that everyday

D

Deleted member 6485

Thank goodness!

On the whole book/TV series subject, has anyone watched/read ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’?

Xxx
I haven't. In all honesty...my reading of any books whatsoever has taken a back leg since i had twins. But its something im looking forward to getting back into now they're all getting older xx

D

Deleted member 8095

I haven't. In all honesty...my reading of any books whatsoever has taken a back leg since i had twins. But its something im looking forward to getting back into now they're all getting older xx
I feel your pain Deb, i love to read but it's only recently that I've been able to again now the kids are getting older xx

10 July 2018
05EA0963-0922-490B-AF9E-0016DC668FBE.jpeg09E1EC77-E464-4F2B-9820-A42EC355584B.jpeg

Currently reading.

I'm a Joke and So Are You
The popular comedian and science presenter Robin Ince blends memoir, wit, and popular science to examine the human condition.
Informed by personal insights from Robin as well as interviews with some of the world's top comedians, neuroscientists and psychologists, this is a hilarious and often moving primer to the mind.

20 February 2018
City
Derby
I'm currently reading Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's the third of a trilogy on the colonisation of Mars, truly what the word 'epic' was meant for!

A couple of books that have had a big influence on me over the years:
1984 by George Orwell
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Reactions: Deleted member 6485
L

Louise94

View attachment 61072View attachment 61073

Currently reading.

I'm a Joke and So Are You
The popular comedian and science presenter Robin Ince blends memoir, wit, and popular science to examine the human condition.
Informed by personal insights from Robin as well as interviews with some of the world's top comedians, neuroscientists and psychologists, this is a hilarious and often moving primer to the mind.

I really like the sound of this!

I think I need to make a list of all the books I want to read. :lol:

Xxx

L

Louise94

I'm currently reading Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's the third of a trilogy on the colonisation of Mars, truly what the word 'epic' was meant for!

A couple of books that have had a big influence on me over the years:
1984 by George Orwell
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

I loved 1984! I was quite late to the party reading that book (and dystopian literature in general) but it had a profound impact on me. The parallels with today’s society are uncanny at times.
I was lucky enough to get down to London when they put on a play of the book, which was also brilliant.

Blue Mars is going on my list too! :D

Xxx

26 October 2018
Two authors that captured my imagination were Jean M Auel her Earths Children books starting with The Mammoth Hunters totally captured the Stone Age trials and challenges of every day life for the Cro-Magnon and Neanderthals, well researched and written !

Second one is Ken Follets cathedral trilogy, starting with Pillars of the Earth, an incredible well written series telling of life in medieval Britain through the eyes of a cathedral builder family, the detail is astonishing and leaves you under no illusion how tough life was in the 12th century

L

Louise94

I found two of Eckhart Tolle’s books particularly inspiring and they were pivotal in changing the way I saw a lot of things - ‘The Power of Now’ and ‘Stillness Speaks’.

Xxx

26 October 2018
I found two of Eckhart Tolle’s books particularly inspiring and they were pivotal in changing the way I saw a lot of things - ‘The Power of Now’ and ‘Stillness Speaks’.

Xxx

Sadly I no longer need inspiration it makes my old head hurt lol xx